[Tagging] objects mixing linear and area (for ex fence and landuse)

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Thu Dec 31 00:04:51 UTC 2020

Hello,

what's the best to tag a fenced area ?

previously I used fenced=yes to describe a *characteristic*
of the area (the area has a fence at the outer, the object
isn't a fence it-self)
but the wiki said it's depreciated in favor of barrier=fence.
but that's not the same : barrier=fence is a linear feature at the
outer, mixing 2 features in one object is a bad pratice.
and nothing said if the fence is mapped as an area or not (area=no
is not usable in this case, due the mix with an area on the same object)

so, what's the best ?
- restore fenced=yes as a valid tag for a characteristic of one objet
(and keep of course barrier=fence for the fence it-self) ?
or
- move the area feature to a relation ? (we don't tag for a tools, but
are the tools able of having a linear geometry for the barrier and a
relation describing an area using the previous linear geometry?)
or
- move the linear feature to a relation ?
or
- if the number of node is small, create 2 ways, one for the linear,
another for the area ?
or
- take an aperitif, it's New Year's Eve ? :)

Regards,
Marc