[Tagging] objects mixing linear and area (for ex fence and landuse)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Dec 31 07:59:03 UTC 2020

Dec 31, 2020, 07:47 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

> >While it's obvious to a human when looking at the rendered object, it's
> >rather difficult to write software to interpret this clearly: an object is
> >supposed to be an area or a line, not both
> >-- Joseph Eisenberg
>
> OSM elements are rarely interpreted independently of their tags, so I won't be so sure about this one. Of course if a data consumer is to do half of the job, then it's their choice.
> Yves

The problem is that area processing usually goes like that

- has area=yes -> area
- has area=no -> not an area
- has tags indicating an area (for example leisure=playground) -> area

This would make that much more complicated, with extra step:

if it has tags indicating an area and tags that are usually not an area
and no tags indicating area then object should be split in two, with
some tags going to one, some to another and probably some
going on both.

And such tagging is anyway violation of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element

tl;dr Putting barrier=wall and leisure=playground is a bad idea,
please do not mix a barrier with whatever object is surrounding it
in one object.

PS:
Default map style is right now solving problem by rendering linear barriers
with styled line and area barriers with styled line on the outline.

What makes rendering border areas impossible
See https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/4229