stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Dec 31 17:35:58 UTC 2020

As a Contributor who has spoken at national conferences on both national / regional bicycle routes in OSM and mapping rail infrastructure and routes in the USA, I wholeheartedly agree with Volker that razed/dismantled/removed/disused railways are and should be welcome in OSM.  Even a century or more after a railroad has stopped running trains on its tracks, even long after tracks and ties have been removed, the effects on the landscape, human development, transportation, recreation, land use and more that its right-of-way continue to have into the present and future are indisputable.  Railroads have very long-lasting effects and even if it is claimed "no trace of it remains" (seldom the case with abandoned rail), their past, present and future influence is obvious for anyone who cares to look.  Importantly, and especially in the USA with many, many "Rails-to-Trails" initiatives, even if they are "invisible on the ground," their rights-of-way continue to exist, and for this reason alone (among many others), they are "real enough" in OSM to map.  A current compromise is that railway=abandoned do not render in Carto.  But even though a rail right-of-way is "invisible," it still exists.  Simply stated:  these data belong in OSM.

SteveA