[Tagging] Use of the name=* on features internal to named areas

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 17:51:45 UTC 2020

> RE:  feature named 'Smith Fountain' within 'XYZ Park' should be tagged
'name=Smith Fountain' but not 'name=XYZ Park Smith Fountain'.
Yes, that is good advice>

> RE: "Internal features to a named area should only be tagged with a name
when there is some verifiable indication (such as signage) of the feature's
name independent of the enclosing area."

Signage is not required for a toponym to exist. Most natural features, like
woods, wetlands, lakes, do not have signs with their names. In many
countries with weaker governments or lower literacy levels, the names of
hamlets and streets will not be written down, but can be verified by
asking the local people. Similarly it is acceptable to add the
commonly-used name for a fountain in a university if that name is known
widely, even if there is no sign. So I would suggest shortening this
suggestion and focusing on the existence of a specific "commonly-used local
name".

-- Joseph Eisenberg