Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 22:45:07 UTC 2020

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 at 07:10, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have had a problem with other mappers adding things back into OSM that
> still appear in some of the imagery available to OSM, but where newer
> imagery (or recent survey) show that such things no longer exist.  I
> initially tried mapping these with just the OSM geometry and a note=* tag,
> but it seems that one of the QC tools considers these to be an error, and
> someone was going around deleting these.  I have started adding a
> "removed:*=*" tag, e.g. removed:building=yes along with a note=* tag
> explaining.  Technically I am mapping things that no longer exist, but the
> purpose is to make it less likely that other well intentioned mappers undo
> my (and others) work and make the map less accurate.

When I've updated tagging to say removed / destroyed, I've added a
description="Destroyed by bushfire Jan 2020. To be re-built"
eg https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/444672467, so it can be read by
mappers, hopefully preventing them from remapping it, & also map users, so
they don't try & go there!

Seems to work OK?

Thanks

Graeme