[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 124, Issue 171 Path for all

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 16:10:58 UTC 2020

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 at 15:49, St Niklaas <st.niklaas at live.nl> wrote:

> IMHO it is never a well taken decision to tag a path / bridleway for
> walking or pedestrians at the same time. Ill shut up when walking a path
> and Equestrians have been using the same trail or path, a horseshoe tends
> to spoil the surface ruinous. Only a rocky hillside trail could stand it.
>
> I would not consider a bridleway as anything else despite Andy’s opinion.

As far as the UK goes (other jurisdictions may differ) Andy's opinion is
backed up
by https://naturenet.net/row/rowdefinitions.html and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridle_path amongst others.

Legally, in the UK, bridleways may be used by pedestrians and cyclists as
well
as by equestrians.  Some bridleways may not be suitable for all pedestrians,
but legally they are permitted to at least try to use them.  Maybe we need
something analogous to horse_scale and sac_scale (or maybe sac_scale
could be used) to indicate that while pedestrians have legal access it is
not suitable for most pedestrians.  I'll leave that to others to decide.

--
Paul