[Tagging] How to tag an utilitarian fountain?

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Sun Feb 2 21:29:12 UTC 2020

Hi there.

In Portugal and most Mediterranean countries, there are literally
thousands of fountains that are not decorative like those examples at
the bottom of the wiki page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dfountain

I'm talking about fountains that exist in every small village or even at
the side of the road, like these:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Loriga_-_Fontan%C3%A1rio.JPG
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:S%C3%A3o_Jo%C3%A3o_das_Lampas_Fontan%C3%A1rio.jpg

What's the best way of tagging these fountains? They're not decorative,
they're utilitarian architectonic structures made to deliver drinking water.
amenity=fountain doesn't seem to fit here, neither amenity=drinking_water.
I know that we can use fountain=* in both tags, but which one?

Regards.