[Tagging] change bicycle_parking=floor to surface

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Feb 3 10:11:25 UTC 2020

Okay, a lot of notes:

Javbw

> On Feb 3, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>

> surface=paved says nothing about if the bicycle can be secured and what too.

Surface= tag is different from =surface value.

Amenity=parking
Parking=surface
Surface=asphalt

For cars.

Amenity=bicycle_parking
Bicycle_parking=surface
Surface=asphalt

For bikes says the same thing.

But for bikes, there are a myriad of options for the parking. The most common are racks (63 percent) and then various others.

Most of those are covered=yes or covered=no (with a simple roof or overhang.

> The bicycle_parking key is used for lots of things...
>
> buildings/sheds
>
> stands/racks
>
> A very poor key!

I think the bike parking key is **primarily concerned with how the bicycle is restrained**. Every value but =floor is about that. Everything else is secondary.

By combining it with a structure (or as an encompassing area of many structures, such as individual rows of sheds) or as a tag on other structures (multilevel car parking or building=yes) it is very flexible in how it is used.

> I think the key should be replaced.

For the 150,000 uses.of most of the racks, it is *perfect*. It just needs the rough edges take care of.

> Buildings and sheds already have a key building=* so those values can be depreciated.

They want to use it in conjunction with building=yes.

Tagging the type of restraints (such as individual sheds) makes sense.

> Stands/racks are all indications of how the bike is held while parked.
>
> bicycle_holding=stand/rack/bollard/post/* ?

This is the heart of bicycle_parking already

> Then the issue of securing the bicycle?
>
> bicycle_secure=lock,supervised,provided_lock,*

Supervised=*  already exists it doesn’t speak to how the bike is physically secured.

Provided automatic locks are not for you, but for the payment operators (afaik) - I could break any bike out of the tethers or tire hooks in less time than it takes to tie your shoes. Securing the bike is something your own lock should do.

But the most necessary option is “no” option to secure, because the others are all implicitly securable with your own equipment - yet 2 documented ones do not inherently give you the option to secure it to something.

As far as these automatic or supplied locking mechanisms are, is there some key for parking lots that tag the specific car parking fee enforcement, such as the retractable flap, bollard, or tire block? Perhaps that would be a good model for tagging these type of payment enforcement locks.

In summary, I am only worried about =floors and some way to say there is some explicit tag for no way to secure the bike to another object.