[Tagging] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.25.0

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 12:41:20 UTC 2020

That appears to be a "shrubbery" in British English, around a tree. It
isn't wrong to use barrier=hedge, since it does provide a visual
barrier and you will probably want to walk around it.

But there is not a very well established way to micro-map very small
areas of shrubs and bushes like this.

Some mappers seem to use natural=scrub, others use leisure=garden, and
some have tried various rarer tags with values like "greenery". There
does not seem to be a consensus.

You might ask on the Tagging list to get some more ideas:
tagging at openstreetmap.org

- Joseph Eisenberg