[Tagging] How to tag an utilitarian fountain?

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Mon Feb 3 14:00:44 UTC 2020

Exactly my point.
That's why I say the wiki is too ambiguous and restrictive.

A practical example (more simple, but still historic and cultural one):
https://www.diariocoimbra.pt/files/news/5d8411800e7e4.png

If I map this with amenity=drinking_water any Portuguese who uses OSM
for searching waypoints is going to search for "fountain", not
"drinking_water". But if I'm a newbie, I go to the amenity=fountain's
wiki and I read "The water of those fountains is often not suitable for
drinking" and I only see examples of decorative fountains there.
That's the main issue I'm struggling with.

But I agree with the amenity=fountain + drinking_water=yes for these
cases, adding the historic and heritage tags wherever possible.