[Tagging] amenity=faculty?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 17:26:52 UTC 2020

Am Di., 4. Feb. 2020 um 17:45 Uhr schrieb Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com>:

> Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> writes:
>
> > Universities may have faculties, that often deserved to be mapped
> separately.

+1, I agree with this. Also institutes, departments, and whatever
subdivision there may be which can be associated to some space.

To your real point, it does seem make sense to have a tag for a
> subdivision of a university.   But, often these sub-parts are
> administrative and not physical.

Sometimes, these may be only administrative (and we would probably not
create their own osm objects, but might want to add them as tag properties)
, but there are also entities (parts of universities) which occupy "their
own space", with dedicated buildings and grounds. We do not have documented
standards for more detail then "university", while the parts can be very
big and do have properties (like the field of endeavor) which can be
standardized and are fundamental to know when you look for something (we
are currently mostly relying on name).

Looking at the tags in use:

50584 amenity=university (no common combination that would be useful for us
here)

773 uses of faculty=* with values: School of Medicine, engineering,
Facultad␣de␣Química,␣UNAM,
Facultad␣de␣Ciencias,␣UNAM, law (20)

1138 uses of university=* with the values specifying parts of a university
rather than a type of university: institute, lecture_hall, faculty (91),
seminar_room, student_association

there is also a department tag which is used 51 times in combination with
faculty, and has useful values like mathematics (12), computer_science
(11), physics (11), Chemistry (9), 09: Chemie (7), etc

for institutes there is a key with 40 uses.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=university#combinations
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/faculty#values
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/university#values
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/department#combinations
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/department#values
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/institute#values

> Perhaps, but beware that in US English, this is bizarre usage.  Faculty
> refers to the set of people that are professors, not a place, and not a
> subdivision of a university.
>
> As an example, one well-known University has within in
>   School of Science
>   School of Engineering
>   School of Architecture of Planning
>   School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences.
>   School of Management
> and
>   College of Computing
>
> I'm sure other universities contain within them colleges, and I suspect
> "school" is fairly common.

"school" does not have values that seem to refer to universities so far:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/school#values
IMHO it is not a good term as tag in osm for parts of universities, because
it could easily be misunderstood.

My preference would be "institute" for institutes, "faculty" for faculties
(if useful) and maybe the department as the operator? The details will
depend on the national and local situation.

Cheers
Martin