[Tagging] amenity=faculty?

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 09:36:55 UTC 2020

Each country (and maybe university) have different subdivision, and
sometimes even inside one university there are multiple different
subdivision co-existing : for example in Belgium i know at least a few
universities that use two separate division at the same time :

   - for the education part : Université > Faculty > School ;
   - for the research part : University > Sector > Institute.

All of these can overlap. One professor can be part of one (or multiple)
school and institute at the same time. And for buildings, an institute can
be spread across multiple building, sharing space with a school ... It is
not simple and purely administrative as there isn't always an unique
spatial localisation for each institute or school. At the moment, i
sometimes see the institute or school name on the building if it is
generally located in one place. I have also seen many research institute
tagged on a node with "office=research" as they are well known publicly,
but again that's not always the case.

Thus, it seems difficult to find "one" subdivision that will always work
worldwide ?! :-) Maybe that we should keep a generic word and allow
everything in it (like subdivision=* with the name of "School",
"Institute", "College",... if relevant) ?