[Tagging] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.25.0

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Feb 5 16:28:03 UTC 2020

On Wednesday 05 February 2020, Jeroen Hoek wrote:
> > the semantic ambiguity of the > 350k cases where barrier tags are
> > currently used as a secondary tag on landuse/leisure/etc. polygons
> > to incidate the polygon is enclosed by a linear barrier.
>
> The PR specifically removes the filled rendering from `barrier=hedge`
> mapped with `area=yes` from 36665 hedges.

No, it does not, the PR removes the fill rendering of all *polygons*
tagged barrier=hedge.  This includes closed ways with barrier=hedge and
area=yes, closed ways with barrier=hedge and a different tag implying a
polygon and also multipolygons.  I explained the way the renderer
interprets the data in the PR discussion.  Understanding this and
understanding the current meaning of the area=yes tag is *essential*
for understanding the reasoning behind this change.

What you essentially want is for barrier=hedge on polygons to have a
different meaning depending on the presence of area=yes.  Given the
very specific and highly significant technical meaning of area=*
overloading it with additional more specialized meanings w.r.t.
specific tags seems a very bad idea to me.

> A hedge is not the same as bushes or trees.

I never claimed it to be.  What i did say is that what is mapped with
barrier=hedge on polygons with a different meaning than 'this polygon
is enclosed by a hedge' is elsewhere predominantly mapped with
natural=scrub/wood or landuse=forest.  I demonstrated this with links
to various places.

Introducing a secondary tag to natural=scrub/wood and landuse=forest
(like barrier=yes) indicating that it is impassible without difficulty
would be a good idea and i would support rendering such in OSM-Carto as
a variation of the rendering we currently have for those if it is being
used consistently by mappers.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/