[Tagging] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.25.0

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 21:11:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 20:55, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

I am generally inclined to follow the principle in case there is
> disagreement about the meaning of certain tagging to in case of doubt
> opt for not rendering something compared to rendering something in a
> potentially misleading way.  That would mean following Paul's

Ummm, wasn't me.  I don't recall seeing another Paul post on this on
the tagging list, but I don't always pay full attention to the identities of
posters.

suggestion here and dropping rendering of barrier=* on polygons all
> together.
>
> Do you think this would be an improvement compared to the current
> rendering?

Nope.  That would make matters even worse.  We have mappers who lazily
apply barrier=hedge to things like leisure=park and, not unreasonably,
expect it to render.  Given how hard it is in iD to deal with multiple
objects having the same outlines, it's not entirely laziness either.  If
iD allowed a method (such as shift-click) to cycle through mutliple
objects that have overlapped ways, this wouldn't be so much of a
p;roblem.  But we have what we have.  Breaking it in carto would
mean a lot of retagging to fix things, and a lot of maintenance hassle
unless iD extends its functionality.  Don't even think about it until
and unless iD can handle what we'd have to do instead.

We also have mappers who, following instructions in the wiki, used
barrier=hedge + area=yes to deal with specific situations, and carto
has just broken that.  The justification for this breakage appears to
be that some people have done things like leisure=park +
barrier=hedge + area=yes.  This usage is the actual problem.
Somebody else suggested rendering that as a hedge area (or
even in red) to show it is a tagging error.

So far the approach seems to have been "some things are mistagged so
let's break the rendering for both them and lots of other things that aren't
mistagged" followed by "You seem unhappy with that, so how about we
break even more things?"

--
Paul