[Tagging] How to tag an utilitarian fountain?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 10:05:46 UTC 2020

Am Do., 6. Feb. 2020 um 10:55 Uhr schrieb Cascafico Giovanni <
cascafico at gmail.com>:

> Since fountain is intended as "sculptural and/or decorational", IMHO
> amenity=fountain is not consistent. AFAIK object belonging to
> "amenity" are in someway necessities. So one day, I hope to see
> fountain value removed from amenity tag.

I would like to reject the idea that something that is decorational and
cultural is not a "necessity" (along these lines, where do you see place of
worship?). Fountains, seem to fit reasonably well into the amenity concept.
Much more than prisons, grave_yards, hunting stands, grit bins, private
toilets (sic), and many more things to be found in amenity with some usage:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/amenity#values

Cheers
Martin