[Tagging] amenity=faculty?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 11:11:35 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 6 feb 2020, alle ore 11:37, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> Sorry, Martin, but what do you do, if you have a big multi-storey building and all you have is the door bell on the street level? Not map it?

that’s indeed a problem with multipolygons ;)
But you wouldn’t call something a „site“ either that is, hm, many sites, would you?

> The Tuebingen example illustrates the problem. The relation has two nodes in a multipolygon as outer? That is not kosher either.

Yes, the Tübingen example is far from perfect, it was just an illustration for a university with many locations, but there are many details that are not kosher (e.g. the streets are not part of the campus, at least the unrestricted, public ones, also the nurse residences could be questioned, while the library arguably consists also of the grounds, not just the building, etc.)

Do we need another kind of relation? If we want an object for the university, maybe yes. Adding just a tag like university=<official_name of the university> on all the parts would maybe do the trick as well? It wouldn’t allow for adding details about the university though (e.g. start_date, alt_name, wikipedia/wikidata, website, operator, etc.).

Either we could say, a university in or around the same town, seen on a global level, is still a “site”, although on the local level it would be seen as several sites.
Or we’d make a more generic kind of new relation for things that belong together under a certain point of view (together they form an institution, for example public city offices also belong to the same institution and are often distributed over the city, or on a national level ministries and agencies, there we’re doing it with admin level. For pt routes, there are specific route master and network relations.
Time for an university relation? Or more generically a “type=institution” relation?

Cheers Martin