[Tagging] How to tag an utilitarian fountain?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:06:51 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 6 feb 2020, alle ore 20:03, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> It's better that tags mean the same thing everywhere.  Otherwise you
> have to check what each country means by each tag.

countries are different and so the expectations you have for certain kind of things have to adapt. Also with the best map you would still need to have some knowledge how locally things work. Need to buy tobacco or milk on Sundays in Germany? Go to any petrol station. Would this work in Britain? No idea, in Italy likely not (on the motorway and some bigger roads it would). In some countries, if you want to take a local bus you’ll have to buy your ticket in advance, they’re not sold in the bus, in other countries they are. Or restaurants. Some countries allow smoking in restaurants, others don’t. Shall we have British defaults for all kinds of things (every mapper would have to go for some weeks to Britain on educational holidays)? How would we tag things for which the British culture hasn’t a concept?

Yes, we’re using British language terms as codewords for our tags, but this doesn’t mean these tags imply British culture and acquaintances for all the things that are tagged with them.

If you came to Italy, France, Germany or Portugal looking for baked beans for breakfast in an amenity=cafe, you’d have a hard time finding one which offers them ;-)

Cheers Martin