[Tagging] How to tag an utilitarian fountain?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:55:19 UTC 2020

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 22:39, António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com> wrote:

> Ok, let's stay in the same page then. :)
> Regarding schools, I don't know what you mean, because here, schools dont
> have fountains, just taps and those of the bubbler type (maybe old century
> schools have fountains in their yards or something similar).

Bubbler appears to be a name I'm unfamiliar with for a drinking fountain.
One
of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bubbler.jpg  It's not
ornamental or
decorative.  It's a drinking fountain, not a fountain.

This old drinking fountain is harder to classify:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fountain_Snow_Hill_Samuel_Gurney..jpg
Technically just a drinking fountain but it is rather decorative.  Is it
amenity=water or amenity=fountain + drinking_water=yes?

This was assumed from my side since the beginning. What spurred me to start
> this thread was that the element "fountain" in Portuguese iD was translated
> as "decoration fountain" and the wiki seemed to support that distinction.

But that's pretty much how British English sees it: fountains are primarily
ornamental/decorative.  They may incidentally provide drinking water or they
may not.  Remember that what you call a bubbler is what we call a drinking
fountain.

--
Paul