[Tagging] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.25.0

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 16:08:44 UTC 2020

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 15:25, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Feb 7, 2020, 15:53 by pla16021 at gmail.com:
>
> This list regularly suggests things like replacing landuse=grass with
> landcover=grass, and proposes that editors make the appropriate changes.
>
> Vocal part of the list that seems minority to me.

Seems like there is little opposition, to me.  But my memory isn't what it
was and
could be selective.  And those suggesting it might be a minority because
most
have realized that however desirable it may be that it's unlikely to go
anywhere, just like it didn't go anywhere the time they did speak in favour
of it.

> Then we give up on entirely sensible ideas because Carto insists on a "no
> synonyms" rule.  Which leads me to say, frequently, that OSM
> doesn't do joined-up thinking.
>
> landcover is disliked by big part of this mailing list and iD devs and
> JOSM devs.

Landcover=* has 153,499 uses.   Or did you mean landcover=grass
specifically?
That's the second-most popular, with 19,755 uses despite not being rendered.
For a tag that's not supported by editors or rendered, that's significant
use.

If landcover were approved, iD and JOSM might decide to support it.  But
probably not, because it doesn't render, and they wouldn't want to deal with
people raising issues about iD suggesting tags that don't render.

There's no point calling for it here because it doesn't render and editors
don't support it.  Editors won't support it because it doesn't render.
Around
and around we go.

Did I ever mention that OSM doesn't do joined-up thinking?

> There were multiple attempts that tried to use OSM Carto map style as a
> battering
> ram to force this tagging style and I am getting irritated by this.

Some of us see the recent change to area barriers as OSM Carto map style
being
a battering ram to force tagging changes.  One that has actually had major
effects.  Maybe we could try joined-up thinking.

If you think that there is broad support for landcover proposal - feel free
> start vote on the landcover proposal.
>
> I am tempted to do this to get it finally rejected, but I feel that it
> would be not nice.

If you feel you can do so in a manner that is neutral, then please do it.

--
Paul