[Tagging] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.25.0

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 11:36:42 UTC 2020

OSM Carto stopped rendering barrier=hedge, area=yes as a hedge barrier
area, without proper announcement. Immediately this was reported as a
problem, because it is established and documente tagging and many people
noticed the change.

The right way to handle this is to revert this particular change. Even if
the reason behind it is fundamentally right, it still causes a practical
problem on the map, which requires change management and co-operation. .
Instead, taggers are told they are wrong and the problem does not exist.
That does not help.

In fact, there was no mapping problem with the established and documented
tagging, until the rendering was radically changed. Before that, it
rendered just fine, and where the map did not reflect the actual situation,
there was a tagging error, so that should be corrected by changing the
tagging for that particular feature.

If there is a fundamental problem in the established tagging, then the
right way to handle that is to first explain and discuss that on the
tagging list (and mapper forums). That should provide a solution both
renderers and taggers can live with.

For the record, I am not opposed to renderers, data users or toolmakers
reporting a problem or an improvement request and asking the taggers list
to come up with a solution everyone can live with. Information in the
database should be renderable and usable, because that is the purpose of
the whole thing. But please, in co-operation, and when a sudden change
leads to problems, rethink it and take another path to get to a shared
solution.

Fr gr Peter Elderson