[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?&In-Reply-To=<88cad950-d9cc-3c2e-9015-a54d7206a39a at gmx.com>

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Feb 10 14:23:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 3:36 AM Florimond Berthoux <
florimond.berthoux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le lun. 10 févr. 2020 à 09:49, AndreasTUHU <poggyasz at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> I agree that 'surface' tag should be mandatory but in Hungary 54 percent
>> of the mixed foot-cycle-ways misses this tag.
>> Additionally, the 20 percent of foot-cycle-ways has no 'segregated' tag.
>> Not ideal conditions for converting mixed cycleways to path :)
>>

> I don’t understand, for me a mixed cycleway has no sense, if it’s mixed
> well it is a path segregated or not.

It's common in North America.  Sometimes it even switches between a path
and a cycleway.  Galloping Goose Cycleway and Trail in Canada's a fantastic
example of both.

1. Cycleway that allows pedestrians:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galloping_Goose_Regional_Trail#/media/File:Galloping_Goose_Regional_Trail,_Saanich,_British_Columbia,_Canada_17.jpg

2. A path segment of the same in a more rural area:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galloping_Goose_Regional_Trail#/media/File:Galloping_Goose_Trail._INFO_IN_PANORAMIO_DESCRIPTION_-_panoramio.jpg

3. Keep going further out and it becomes a track (with obvious evidence
doubletracked vehicles, like maintenance trucks, do use it, but probably
not open to most motor vehicles):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galloping_Goose_Regional_Trail#/media/File:Galloping_Goose_Trail_-_a_restored_train_station_near_the_Sooke_Potholes.jpg