[Tagging] What is a saltbox?

Michael Brandtner brandtner_michael at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 12 19:26:26 UTC 2020

Hi,
we have a big inconsistency between different wiki pages and editors how we define the roof shape "saltbox".
1) A saltbox is a roof with a tilted part at left and right side and a flat part on top. This definition can be found at:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_buildings
It is used for example in the presets of the Vespucci editor.

2) A saltbox is a roof with only one tilted part (usually directed at the road) and one flat part on top. On the other side it goes straight down. The roof shape described at 1) is a double_saltbox.
This definition can be found at:https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:OSM-4D/Roof_table

This definition is for example used by the StreetComplete editor.

This is a serious issue, because it means that for none of the over 3,000 buildings with the tag roof:shape=saltbox we can know which shape it actually has.

Cheers,Michael