[Tagging] implied surface values?

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Wed Feb 12 19:52:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 07:15:42PM +0100, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

> >> In the UK too paved is implied, I have never used paved. Surface tags such as asphalt, setts, concrete add the detail of what sort of paved.
> >>

> > +1. Some of the Amazon people do seem to be adding unnecessary and
> > unsurveyed surface=asphalt tags to many roads in the UK which I find
> > quite irritating.
> >
> Have you tried commenting on their changesets?

Well, in the examples I have seen, they are not actually wrong. Just
unnecessary in the UK when asphalt is the default. I know some here
always want explicit tags, and that is fine in local conditions where
defaults are problematic.

I did send a message to one of the mappers, but got no reply. I suspect
they are based in the USA and applying USA conventions.

One reason that I find it irritating is where I have mapped roads very
accurately and then armchair mappers come along with poorly aligned
imagery with parallax errors and think they know better. So when I see
any change in such places, I usually check to look for unwarranted
changes. Which takes too much time.

ael