[Tagging] What is a saltbox?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 22:33:30 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 5:21 PM Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> the shape of OpenStreetMap-4D fits with the wikipedia article, although the article suggests this is a specific New England building type, which makes the term less suitable for a global roof type tag.

Few others build in that shape, and I don't know another word for it.
The fact that something is distinctive to a particular region doesn't
mean that it doesn't deserve a tag.

Gambrel roofs are another example - they're common anywhere the Dutch
went, and in relatively few other places. (A mansard roof is a similar
form, but is hipped with two slopes on each of four sides, rather than
having two double-slopes and two gable ends.) The US term for the
latter style of house is "Dutch Colonial," but "gambrel" is also an
Americanism. The British term, "kerb roof", however, appears to have
fallen out of favour sometime in the mid-19th Century. I suspect that
more Britons would recognize the Americanism than the British term.
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin