[Tagging] How to match multiple destinations and destination:ref?

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Thu Feb 13 17:17:21 UTC 2020

On 13.02.20 18:02, António Madeira via Tagging wrote:
> Thank you, Jan!
> This was exactly what I was searching for.
> So, for destination:ref you propose using ";;" for empty values and for
> destination:symbol you propose "none"?

There are different options:
destination:ref = ;123;;
destination:ref = none;123;none;none
destination:ref =  ;123; ;

I personally prefer the first one, but while interpreting tags I treat
all of them the same. In any case I would decide for one style and use
this for all tags. Note that 'none' as a placeholder might be ambiguous
in some cases, because some tags also have 'none' as a valid value (e.g.
maxheight = none) and then there is the case of the Italian city 'None'.

> How come this is not in the destination tag wiki?
This scheme was never officially proposed or discussed, it's just an
extension of the (old but never voted on) proposal for extended
destination:XYZ tags.

At least in Germany it's currently used to quite some extent to
represent more complicated signs properly, e.g.
http://osm.mueschelsoft.de/destinationsign/example/index.htm#way=153364494&include_sgn=1&include_way=1&country=DE