[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:amenity=motorcycle_taxi

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 07:31:36 UTC 2020

>  In Paris there are parking shared between bicycle and motorcycle, and parking shared between bicycle and dock less vehicles (scooters).

Unlike parking spaces, a motorcycle taxi stand is never shared between
motorcycles and cabs or tricycles here in Indonesia, since each type
of vehicle has different characteristics: speed, capacity, distance
that can be traveled. The markets and the prices are different.

Often a market or train station will have 3 stands for 3 types of
hired vehicles (motorcycles, taxicabs, and pedicabs/tricycles), with
each at a separate corner, or on different sides of the street.

> amenity=taxi
> taxi:motorcycle=yes
> taxi:car=yes
> taxi:tricycle=yes

This is discussed in the proposal page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:amenity%3Dmotorcycle_taxi#Why_not_use_amenity.3Dtaxi.3F

While some have proposed using {{tag|amenity|taxi}} plus the
additional tags {{tag|motorcar|no}} + {{tag|motorcycle|yes}} for
motorcycle taxi stands, this has several disadvanages:
1) It would imply that a taxicab and a hired motorcyle "ojek" are the
same feature.
2) it requires using 3 tags instead of one.
3) If only amenity=taxi is tagged, it would now become ambiguous: is
this actually a taxicab stand, or might it be a motorcycle stand which
is missing a tag?
4) It will confusing for travelers who generally expect a "taxicab" to
be 4-wheeled motorcar capable of carrying at least 4 passengers and
their luggage. This is quite different than a motorcycle which can
only carry one passenger with a small amount of baggage.
5) Many database users currently interpret {{tag|amenity|taxi}} as a
motorcar taxicab via use of a standard "taxi" icon such as
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taxi_Icon.png - this would be
broken by such a change.
6) Motorcyles have different abilities: In contrast to a family or
group which needs a 4 to 6 seat taxicab, single travelers may strongly
prefer to hire motorcycles when available, due to their lower cost and
ability to fit through smaller spaces in congested cities and rural
areas with narrow roads and paths. Motorcar taxicabs with 4 wheels in
2 tracks cannot access {{tag|highway|path}} features and narrow roads,
but motorcycles may be permitted and feasible due to their narrow
width and single track.

So a different tag is proposed to avoid confusion and more precisely
tag these features.