[Tagging] URL tracking parameters

Victor/tuxayo victor at tuxayo.net
Tue Feb 25 10:39:54 UTC 2020

On 20-02-25 04:36, Jonathon Rossi wrote:
 > Does OSM have a position on these tracking parameters, WT.mc_id, utm_*,
 > fbclid, etc? I couldn't find anything on the wiki.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:website

It's implied in the following best practice:

----

On 20-02-25 08:51, Jez Nicholson wrote:
 > Whilst I'm firmly against tracking codes, we could give the benefit of
 > the doubt and assume that they just cut-and-paste the URL and did not
 > intend to place tracking.

I don't know where they get their URLs from but I just searched from
their website a hotel and nothing is added automatically.

Asking for clarification would remove part of the doubt.

----

On 20-02-25 11:01, Philip Barnes wrote:
 > Another issue I have with Hilton Hotels is all edits are made either
made by a single user, or the account is being shared between multiple
users.

 > Should edits not be attributable to an individual?

I don't remember seeing something like that. I could be wrong though.

Nothing here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_editing_best_practice

But it's good for us if it's not a too high traffic account, on account
helps to keep track on what their are doing.

----

On 20-02-25 11:16, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I'd remove things from OSM that have been clearly added as part of an
> advertising campaign, because that means the information is not
> trustworthy. The purpose of an advertising campaign is not to provide
> unbiased, factual information, hence OSM cannot be the vehicle for an
> advertising campaign.

I also get the feeling that these things are not done as genuine
contributions to OSM in an intent to improve the database.
But we can trust them on the position of the hotel right? So at least
this can stay in OSM.

----

On 20-02-25 11:27, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
 > But more broadly, we value data for its correctness, not for its
provenance
 > (assuming licence-compatible).

+1

----

On 20-02-25 11:34, Philip Barnes wrote:
 > I have commented on a recent edit near me asking both questions and
pointing out the url they should use.

Thanks a lot, can you post the changeset for the record? So we can check
later if they responded if this goes out of your radar.

Cheers,

--
Victor/tuxayo