[Tagging] URL tracking parameters

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Feb 25 11:14:50 UTC 2020

On Tuesday 25 February 2020, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> But more broadly, we value data for its correctness, not for its
> provenance (assuming licence-compatible). You are inventing a
> suspected rationale ("an advertising campaign") on the part of the
> contributor; judging them by your own standards which aren't the
> agreed/stated values of OSM anywhere I can see; and concluding that
> the data should be deleted. That's... a stretch?

Not necessarily.  OSM - like almost any other social cooperation on the
internet - is strongly based on reputation of its contributors.  I
can't check every contribution of any contributor in even a small area
but i can look at the contributor's history of contributions and their
background as a contributor (their reputation so to speak) to assess
how trustworthy they are.

And yes, this is unfair in the way that i will make assumptions on a
newcomer corporate mappers based on my (bad) experience with other
corporate mappers from the past.  That's collatoral damage inevitable
to maintain a functioning system of social cooperation in the presence
of a large volume of organized activities.  You can blame it on the
corporations/organizations that have lobbied successfully against more
meaningful regulation of said activities.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/