[Tagging] URL tracking parameters

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Feb 25 11:21:30 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 25.02.20 11:59, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Yes. And we don't even need to do that: we can verify it with about 30
> seconds' Googling.

Ok ok you're right.

The URL does contain a tracking token but it does not exclusively track
OSM usage.

I have overreacted because I have in the past dealt with advertisers who
had added an OSM-specific "campaign" ID the the links which was clearly
out of line, and suspected the same here.

This leads to the interesting question of what the correct URL for a
business is and who decides that. If the business owner says "but the
correct URL for my business is ...?wdycf=openstreetmap", what do we do?
In theory they could configure their web site to only accept a few
well-defined wdycf values.

(Apparently in this particular case, not only the WT.mc_id parameter is
decorative, the whole hotel name is; even
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bhxsadi-camping-in-the-woods/ directs
you to
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bhxsadi-doubletree-stratford-upon-avon/...)

Bye