[Tagging] man_made=petroleum_well vs man_made=pumping_rig

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed Feb 26 14:51:41 UTC 2020

On 2/26/2020 3:54 AM, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> There are some users on the wiki who seem to treat these two tags as
> near-synonyms
>
> man_made=petroleum_well
> man_made=pumping_rig
>
> The later was approved, but the first is much more common.
>
> The proposal in 2008 for pumping_rig said
>
> "A tag for pumping platforms - gas, oil, etc. The rig may be on ground or water"
>
> But petroleum_well says just: "An oil well is a boring in the Earth
> that is designed to bring petroleum oil or gas to the surface."
>
> I believe not all petrolum wells have a pumping rig? Can someone
> confirm that these tags are different?

Oil wells generally begin with a boring apparatus housed in a vertical
derrick (drilling tower). Depending on the circumstances, the derrick
might be dismantled when the well is ready for production.

Once a well is in production, a pumping rig (which I'd call a pumpjack)
is installed, to pull the crude up and into a pipeline or storage tank.
It's possible to have multiple pumpjacks for a single well -- they're
not synonymous.

It's also possible to have a functioning petroleum well without any
notable surface-level equipment, especially a gas well.

Jason