[Tagging] man_made=gas_well Was man_made=petroleum_well vs man_made=pumping_rig

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 00:32:17 UTC 2020

> Christmas trees are intended to regulate the well pressure or manage filling product injection to raise field pressure.
> You'll find them independently on oil or water wells depending on the pressure.

Very few water wells have high enough pressure to require such a
device. 99.9% of water wells are a few meters to a few tens of meters
deep, and most of those that are mapped in Openstreetmap are in
low-income countries where they will have a manual pump on top, or a
bucket that goes into a hand-dug well.

Tags in Openstreetmap are designed by ordinary people for mapping the
usual situation. They do not need to cover the 0.1% of cases that are
strange exceptions or outliers.

But it's perfectly fine to create a new special tag if you want to map
a 1000 meter deep, high-pressure artesian well, and think it necessary
to specify more details. There is no need to deprecate common, easy to
use tags like man_made=water_well.

"The same applies on geothermal wells with substance=steam or
substance=water + utility=heating
https://www.slb.com/drilling/rigs-and-equipment/wellhead-systems/geothermal-wellhead-system"

I agree, and I would not use man_made=water_well for a geothermal
energy facility. Usually these are complex loops where water is
removed but then re-injected. They are not similar to a normal water
well, where groundwater is extracted for drinking or irrigation or
other direct human uses.

There are very few geothermal energy production facilities, compared
to the number of petroleum and water wells in the world, and I don't
think many mappers are trying to map the details of geothermal energy
sites, so power=plant + plant:source=geothermal is enough for most
cases, plus power=generator + generator:source=geothermal, but feel
free to create a new tag for the special details of water circulation
in geothermal plants if you are interested.

- Joseph Eisenberg