[Tagging] man_made=gas_well Was man_made=petroleum_well vs man_made=pumping_rig

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 08:43:47 UTC 2020

Am Do., 27. Feb. 2020 um 00:23 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> Different tags are used for petroleum wells vs water wells because
> they look totally different

do they? Have a look at this short clip that shows a water well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lkoCCCQytc

> and their function for the general map
> user is quite distinct.

indeed

> An oil or gas well has a fire-hydrant like structure on top called a
> "Christmas tree" or a pumping rig like a "pump jack" - you will not
> mistake them for a water well.

You will use a pump jack for the extraction of liquids, so I would say
their presence will exclude a gas-only well.

> According to these sources, the term "petroleum" can include both
> natural gas and crude oil:
>

> http://energy4me.org/all-about-energy/what-is-energy/energy-sources/petroleum/
>
> "Oil and natural gas together make petroleum. Petroleum, which is
> Latin for rock oil, is a fossil fuel, meaning it was made naturally
> from decaying prehistoric plant and animal remains. It is a mixture of
> hundreds of different hydrocarbons molecules containing hydrogen and
> carbon that exist sometimes as a liquid (crude oil) and sometimes as a
> vapor (natural gas)."
>
> https://www.appea.com.au/oil-gas-explained/oil-and-gas/what-is-petroleum/
>
> "Petroleum is a general term for oil and natural gas."
>
> So a man_made=petroleum_well is a natural gas or crude oil well, but
> many (most?) petroleum wells produce both oil and gas.

this is fine, so we already have it structured nicely ;)
For oil wells, gas will usually also be extracted (but not always used),
but for gas only wells we could have a subtag to man_made=petroleum_well
Is there something in use? Otherwise we would be loosing information
compared to man_made=gas_well.

Cheers
Martin