[Tagging] changing tables for adults (restroom accessibility feature)

Holger Dieterich holger at sozialhelden.de
Fri Feb 28 09:57:21 UTC 2020

Dear tagging-mailinglist,

in the German user forum [1] and the talk mailinglist [2] we discussed how
changing tables for adults could be mapped. One suggestion was
changing_table:adult=yes/no. I learnt that for such a sub-category a formal
proposal may be too much, that's why I ask here:
Is it okay to start using it (and to add it to the OSM wiki)?

In Germany there is https://www.toiletten-fuer-alle.de/ with 80 such
facilities, in the UK there is http://www.changing-places.org with more
than 1.400. They are not very common but incredibly useful for people with
disabilities who need them (and their assistants), it increases their
personal freedom to go to places.

I first proposed changing_table:suitableforadults=yes/no but the community
convinced me a less verbose wording might be better, hence
changing_table:adult=yes/no. The proposer of the original changing_table
tag was involved in the discussion as well.

Best regards,
Holger

[1] https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=68485
[2] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-January/083918.html