[Tagging] Tag for "tax free shopping"

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 1 00:16:17 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-01 00:54, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 18:48, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear: in the situation I am referring to, an article priced at GBP120 in such a mixed shop is GBP120 net to an exporting passenger, but GBP100 net + GBP20 tax (@20% VAT) to a non-exporting passenger. Everybody pays the same, but the accounting is different.
>>
>> The implementation in a couple of shops is described here:
>> http://www.whsmithplc.co.uk/vat/
>> https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/taxfree-explained/
>>
>> So the shop is both tax/duty free, and not, at the same time. Hence it does not fit the proposed description of either duty_free=yes or duty_free=no. So we need a value to represent "yes, if your next destination is outside the current customs area." Duty_free=mixed would also not quite cover it IMHO as it might imply that it only applies to certain goods, whereas the distinction I am trying to make is based on destination.
>
> What do you consider a definition of "duty free" or "duty free shop"
> that would be useful to a OSM data consumer?

Which OSM data consumer?

Just a reminder: I didn't start this, I am merely trying to add a nuance
to the data modelling.

IF we are going to label duty.free-ness, it might indeed to be useful to
have agreement about a couple of usecases so we can discuss the tagging
more objectively. Speaking as a regular air passenger, it wouldn't add
much value for me personally, as I assume there are no tax-free
facilities within the EU anyway, and there are, I assume at every
(air/sea)port I use, when crossing the EU customs area border. Away from
(air/sea)ports it's a different story of course, with a variety of
tax-free purchase/refund schemes.

I can imagine a shop's membership of a refund scheme to be important,
and the associated export points/offices (should all be tagged with a
reference to the refund scheme.)

By the way, I am assuming that we are only discussing retail purchases
of goods by individual consumers, not services or B2B transactions which
would open up whole new cans of worms.