[Tagging] leisure=firepit vs fireplace=Yes

Jake Edmonds jake_edmonds at me.com
Sat Jan 4 17:30:20 UTC 2020


In the woods around my area, there are many fire pits and picnic tables. Around 25% of the fire pits are tagged as their own object with leisure=firepit  and the other 75% are additionally tagged as fireplace=yes on an amenity=shelter/shelter=picnic_shelter, tourism=picnic_site or leisure=picnic_table object.

Here is an example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5610200725 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5610200725>
Photo of the object: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Picnic_Table_-_Ko%C5%A1ice_-_mestsk%C3%A1_%C4%8Das%C5%A5_Sever.jpg <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Picnic_Table_-_Ko%C5%A1ice_-_mestsk%C3%A1_%C4%8Das%C5%A5_Sever.jpg>

The wiki page for fireplace refers to a structure with a chimney (as is commonly used in English).

The page for tourism=picnic_site does list fireplace=* as a possible additional tag and 'Alternatively, map separate features: leisure=firepit’

The pages for leisure=picnic_table and amenity=shelter do not mention fireplace=*.

I don’t think it makes sense to use fireplace=yes as an additional tag and they should be mapped separately as leisure=firepit. If I understand correctly, additional tags should be used to describe the object itself, but fire pits and tables/shelters can be used independently. If I’m planning a trip and I want to make a fire, I am going to search for fire pits.

Is there something I haven’t considered? 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20200104/4ac4bcef/attachment.htm>


More information about the Tagging mailing list