[Tagging] tagging historic ruins

Rob Savoye rob at senecass.com
Sun Jan 5 16:04:24 UTC 2020

  I noticed today while planning a camping/mapping trip to southwest
Colorado many nodes all tagged with 'historic=ruins', and that's about
all. Most of these are stone buildings, some cliff dwellings in various
states of decay. I was wondering if they should also be tagged as
'building=yes' or anything else, or does that just add unnecessary bloat ?

  Digging around the internet, I see a variety of ways to tag sites like
this, and a few old unapproved proposals. Since these structures are
thousands of years old, shouldn't they be 'historic=archaeological_site'
instead ? Or 'historic=cliff_dwelling, ruins=yes' ?

 I'll be there in few weeks and plan to collect & validate more metadata
for that area, but was curious about the proper tagging for these sites.

	- rob -
--
https://www.senecass.com