[Tagging] addresses on buildings

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 18:48:39 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 5. Jan 2020, at 19:24, Rob Savoye <rob at senecass.com> wrote:
>
>  I assume the right place for tags like 'addr:housenumber' &
> 'addr:street' are on the building way, and not a standalone node ?

it depends where the number/address is assigned to, and may vary, e.g. in Germany it depends on the municipality, and sometimes numbers are assigned to sites, sometimes to buildings, and additionally they may be assigned to entrances, staircases etc. „as required“ (citation from Berlin law about housenumbers).
In Italy the numbers are assigned to entrances and gates.
When you have good arguments for adding addresses to an area, it is preferable because it allows for inheritance to the enclosed/contained objects, otherwise you would have to repeat the addresses on all the objects inside (or use relations which is generally considered worse for this case).

Cheers Martin