[Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 22:07:16 UTC 2020

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 23:27, Tomek <tomek at disroot.org> wrote:

> I plan to remove the "name" and "wikipedia" tags from places that are not associated with a specific nation or language:
> * continents
> * north and south poles
> * seas and bays, but exceptionally leaving the "name" tag for seas with a maximum of two (or three) languages of neighboring countries, so for example "Белое море" will not change.
> The purpose of this edition is to make the OSM map more neutral and not humiliate people from any country. There is no reason for the Baltic Sea to be the "Baltic Sea" or for South America to be "South America" - this is an example of English imperialism.

I support removing the name=* tag from these places, but for a different reason:

The name=* tag is used to store the local name: "Note that OSM follows
the On the Ground Rule. Names recorded in name=* tag are ones that are
locally used, especially ones typically signposted." [1]

For places where it's impossible to identify a local name, the name
tag should not have been filled out (or at least not set to a single
language).

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name

Regards

Markus