[Tagging] addresses on buildings

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 6 23:23:21 UTC 2020

On 05/01/2020 18:37, Marc Gemis wrote:
> This depends on the country.
> It is "forbidden" to put the address on the building in Denmark,

Hi

Where does it say that? Where does it say it's forbidden to add address
data to building polygons in OSM?

Keeping address data separate from buildings (which contain the primary
tags) reduces the usefulness of the data. It prevents mail-sort
compilations for residential houses. or locating all hairdressers in
Randers.

Recently, I asked a few people, including JKHougaard,  the creator of
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/autoAWS, but the all failed to confirm.

He gave this as an explanation:

"The reason we treat addresses in Denmark nodes is because that is how
an address is legally defined here."

  However, he failed to say how this Danish opendata licence prevents it
from being transferred to buildings within OSM

This was given to me by another user as justification:

"The house number in the address shall refer to the exterior entrance
door or similar to a building or part of a building which the address
identifies." https://w2l.dk/file/661441/The_Danish_Adress_act.pdf

But that says nothing about it relating to OSM

This was provided by another user & I suspect is getting close to the
real reason:

"Transferring the data to buildings will mess up the maintenance"

I asked JKHougaard why his bot couldn't be updated to check ways. "that
is beyond my coding skills" was his reply.

I may be wrong, but given the responses I can only conclude it's a smoke
screen to cover up the limitations of the bot.

DaveF