[Tagging] addresses on buildings

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Tue Jan 7 00:30:27 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 18:23, Dave F via Tagging
<tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> On 05/01/2020 18:37, Marc Gemis wrote:
> > This depends on the country.
> > It is "forbidden" to put the address on the building in Denmark,
>
> Hi
>
> Where does it say that? Where does it say it's forbidden to add address
> data to building polygons in OSM?

Hi,

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Denmark and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Da:Adresser seem like a good place
to start.

Of course nothing is truly forbidden in OSM as long as you are mapping
in good faith ("any tags you like" spirit) but local community
consensus can discourage some tagging schemes (such as separate ways
for sidewalks in Germany) and this is likely what Marc had in mind
when writing "forbidden" in quotation marks.

[...]
> This was provided by another user & I suspect is getting close to the
> real reason:
>
> "Transferring the data to buildings will mess up the maintenance"
>
> I asked JKHougaard why his bot couldn't be updated to check ways. "that
> is beyond my coding skills" was his reply.
>
> I may be wrong, but given the responses I can only conclude it's a smoke
> screen to cover up the limitations of the bot.

Local community consensus are a thing in OSM. If you disagree you can
of course try convincing the Danish mapper community that they've been
doing it wrong for 10 years.

BTW how would you map an address of a lot that currently has no building on it?

Cheers,
Jarek