[Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 01:32:15 UTC 2020

> YES, so let's use the planned language! Either Esperanto (because of
> popularity) or Interlingua (because it is understood without learning
> for Romance language users).

This is not an improvement for native speakers of any of the Han
Chinese languages, or Arabic, or any of the other languages which is
not Indo-European and does not use the Latin script. Over 2 billion
people speak such languages as their primary tongue.

I do not see any support from the OSM community for using invented
languages in the name=* tag for any features.

> I've been suggesting
> to create a renderrer that just uses "name: eo" if present ... just to
> be told right away that this is not a good solution as it would
> basically chooses the Esperanto name for everything instead of just
> these places where there is no default language. I think that having an
> empty "name" tag or not having a "name" tag would be a nice indication
> that there is not best "name" tag, and leave each renderrer use their
> heuristics (or just display no name).

This will not work, because local mappers will constantly be adding
back "name=*" tags to get the feature to appear in their favorite map
style. If you want to define that a feature has no default language,
it would be good to use a new tag like "default:language=none" or
something similar, but it will be hard to determine when to use such a
tag.

> On 01/20-06 at 15:45, Joseph Eisenberg writes:
>> (Note that Openstreetmap-carto does not render the names of oceans,
>> continents and seas, but does render the names of some large bays and
>> straits and islands which are relevant to this discussion)

> Only relations with the tag, e.g. natural = bay or water = sea are
> rendered on the map.

That is incorrect, though I understand why it appears this way*.

All natural=water features, which should be lakes or similar inland
waters, are rendered in the Openstreetmap-carto style at high zoom
levels (low scale) when tagged as a node, or at a zoom level
appropriate to their size if mapped as an area, whether a multipolygon
relation or a closed way. The same is true for natural=bay and
natural=strait features found in the oceans.  For straits and bays
like fjords which are mapped as lines, the name is also rendered along
the line from moderately high zoom levels.

Seas are not yet rendered (place=sea) and probably will not get
rendered anytime soon due to several issues, includin this one about
the appropriateness of the name=* tag for seas that border multiple
countries, and the verifiability issues with mapping them as areas.

(Rendering seas and peninsulas properly when tagged as nodes could be
done but requires someone to work on a technical solution)

Joseph Eisenberg
*See issue #3634 for a heated discussion at Openstreetmap-carto -
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3634 - also
PR #3750 https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3750