[Tagging] Cycle boxes for two-stage left turns

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 17:14:49 UTC 2020

Hello,

I think it’s a good thing to map these two stage turn for bicycles.
I can’t see better solution than using relation (unless doing surface
mapping...).

Le lun. 6 janv. 2020 à 04:21, Jarek Piórkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> a
écrit :
> - relation with tag type=bicycle_two_stage_turn (comments on this
> particularly welcome! it doesn't really seem to be a route=bicycle
> since it doesn't have a designated network=*?)
If we copy what we have in France for give way for cyclist at traffic light
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Bicycle#Panonceaux_de_C.C3.A9dez-le-passage_cycliste_au_feu
type=restriction
restriction:bicycle=two_stage_turn
And the relation have three members with from, via, to.

> - optionally segregated=yes if there is a designated, separated
> waiting area for the bikes rather than only a painted area that is
> also driven over by other vehicles (would usually be at particularly
> wide intersections or at T-intersections)
I disagree, today the use of segregated key is for path where the
segregation is made from painting line.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:segregated
If we use the key segrageted for physically segragation by kerb or island
that can lead easily to mistakes.
May be use waiting_area=painting_box if there is only painting, and
waiting_area=track ? island ? if it is physically protected.

I think it can be interessting to know if the two stage turn is mandatory
or not for the cyclist, I’m not talking about national law here but only if
there is a traffic sign saying this obligation.
mandatory=yes ?

--
Florimond Berthoux