[Tagging] addresses on buildings

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 17:18:54 UTC 2020

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 16:51, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> May I come back to the navigation aspect.
> Let's assume I have a single square building aligned with the compass
> directions. It is between two parallel East<>West roads. It is placed
> closer to the road on the North side.
> Its entrance is on the South side from the road to the South. There is a
> fence around the plot that stretches all the way from one road to the
> other. The access is by a gate in the fence to the South. No footpath or
> driveway is on the map. With other words, a quite frequent situation in
> OSM. If I put the house number on the building the navigation device brings
> me to a point close to the house on the North road, where there is no
> entrance. If I place the number on a node close to where the gate is on the
> South road, then the navigation device brings me to the desired place. But
> I have no information about the association between the number on the gate
> and the building.

Not frequent where I am, but it happens.  Map the fence, the gate, and the
path
from the road to the front door.  A decent routeing algorithm will send a
self-driving
car to the right place.  Alert humans can interpret what they see on the
map.

Not perfect, because a disturbing number of holiday cottages around here
feel it
necessary to warn people that if they enter the postcode into their satnav
they'll
end up in the wrong place.

> If you think this through we need a means to connect logically the
> number-bearing entrance to the house it belongs to,

That's what a driveway or footpath is for.

IF we want to have the number-building association as information in the
> map. But do we need this information at all? Is it not enough to know that
> we have to go the gate with the house number, if we want to go to the house
> with that number. How I have to move on the property to get from the gate
> to the house is not (necessarily) information that is on the map.

Your solution works unless there is more than one property sharing that
same gateway
or driveway.  My solution works either way, at the expense of sometimes
having to
map a fence and driveway/footpath you otherwise might not.

I don't see misplacing nodes as being a good alternative to getting the
routeing right.

--
Paul