[Tagging] recreational vs functional routes

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 19:21:58 UTC 2020

Hi,

Has there been any previous discussion regarding tagging recreational
versus functional routes?

Especially for car routes, I haven't seen any way to tag touristic routes
for driving cars, like the Turist Veger in Norway or the Route des Cols in
France. It is also of specific interest for cycling. For example, in
Belgium we have a very dense "node network" for cycling for fun, but those
routes aren't exactly interesting for commuting. On the other hand, we have
"cycle highways" which can be boring and focus on actually getting
somewhere.

In the case of cars, the lack of clarity prevents mapping. In the case of
cycling, it would be really useful for routers to be able to differentiate.

Similar differences might exist for bus (fpr example for hop-on/hop-off
tourist buses in cities) and maybe even for walking.

I think maybe another optional tag for route relations might be useful,
perhaps just function=recreational/practical or something.

--
Joost Schouppe