[Tagging] addresses on buildings

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 7 19:30:52 UTC 2020

On 07/01/2020 17:18, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 16:51, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> May I come back to the navigation aspect.
>> Let's assume I have a single square building aligned with the compass
>> directions. It is between two parallel East<>West roads. It is placed
>> closer to the road on the North side.
>> Its entrance is on the South side from the road to the South. There is a
>> fence around the plot that stretches all the way from one road to the
>> other. The access is by a gate in the fence to the South. No footpath or
>> driveway is on the map. With other words, a quite frequent situation in
>> OSM. If I put the house number on the building the navigation device brings
>> me to a point close to the house on the North road, where there is no
>> entrance. If I place the number on a node close to where the gate is on the
>> South road, then the navigation device brings me to the desired place. But
>> I have no information about the association between the number on the gate
>> and the building.
>>
> Not frequent where I am, but it happens.  Map the fence, the gate, and the
> path from the road to the front door.

This. ^

Bodging a tagging schema or adding spurious objects to cover the fact
other objects are missing, makes no logical sense. Just add those
missing objects. In this instance it greatly increases door to door
routing accuracy & improves database quality overall. It often turns out
to be less time consuming than fudging it.

DaveF