[Tagging] recreational vs functional routes

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 21:16:47 UTC 2020

If a route meant for motor vehicles is waymarked as a recreational route,
why not use the same tagging system as for other recreational routes?

[relation]
type=route
route=Xmn where X=l (local), r (regional), n (national) or i
(international) an mn is motor network
(name=...)
(operator=...)
(symbol=...)
(osmc:symbol=...)
and other relevant tags

If the route is waymarked in both directions, chances are there will be a
lot of differences. You could use the role-based backward/forward ways
system as is usual in cycling routes or use separate relations for the
directions, then put them together in a parent relation.

The roles in routes discussion would then apply, too.

Fr gr Peter Elderson