[Tagging] How to tag oneway restriction applying to pedestrians?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jan 8 21:33:07 UTC 2020

Although unusual, oneway on pedestrian highways (path, footway, track) is
possible in some places.

Cases of oneway pedestrian traffic includes some hiking trails, border crossing,
exit-only passages and more.

How to tag this?

oneway=yes is currently described on OSM Wiki as applying only to vehicles
- see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:oneway
Also, it is sometimes used on ways such as
highway=footway + bicycle=yes + oneway=yes to indicate that
such way is oneway for cyclists.

But sometimes it is used on paths and footways to indicate that such way is
oneway for pedestrians (especially in cases where only pedestrians are allowed)
to use it.

There is oneway:foot=yes but it is considered as problematic because
"According to how conditional restriction syntax works, adding a mode of
transport such as :foot only ever limits who the tag applies to, it doesn't
normally add someone it applies to."
( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:oneway#Pedestrian_oneways
and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:oneway:foot )

Personally I consider oneway:bicycle=yes or oneway:foot=yes
as not problematic in any way, I want to check whatever I am alone in this.

foot:backward=no was proposed as superior solution to oneway:foot=yes
but personally I really dislike this.

This is posted as there is some ongoing discussion on Wiki and I am interested in
experience/opinions of more people.