[Tagging] Cycle boxes for two-stage left turns

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Thu Jan 9 02:32:22 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 10:00, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 7:06 PM Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca>
wrote:
>> I'm looking for a way to tag designated areas where cyclists wait to
>> safely make a far turn (in right-hand-drive regions, a left turn).
>> I'll call them "left turn boxes" for short though pointers to a better
>> name would be welcome!
>> Since it's basically a short, mode-restricted turn lane, why not tag it
as such?  turn:lanes=whatever|left, access:lanes=whatever|no,
bicycle:lanes=whatever|designated?

This seems like it should work. I was a little wary at first, since wiki
for Key:lanes states "Count excludes cycle lanes. For tagging cycle lanes
see cycleway=*. "

However the example in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes#Crossing_with_a_designated_lane_for_bicycles
seems fitting, and the following seems to be liked well enough by JOSM
validator: https://bin.piorkowski.ca/2020/osm_bicycle_lanes_on_way.png

access:lanes:forward=||no
bicycle:lanes:forward=||designated
cycleway:lanes:forward=none|none|lane
cycleway=lane
turn:lanes:forward=left|none|left

Trying to go further and indicate also the through-going (painted) bicycle
lane (as done in the wiki example linked above) I arrive at:
https://bin.piorkowski.ca/2020/osm_bicycle_lanes_on_way_with_cycle_lane.png

access:lanes:forward=||no|no
bicycle:lanes:forward=||designated|designated
cycleway:lanes:forward=none|none|lane|lane
cycleway=lane (redundant?)
lanes:bicycle:forward=2
turn:lanes:forward=left|none|none|left

That seems to describe the logic of the way fully. However that is quite a
lot of tags and seems easy to get it wrong. JOSM will warn in case of
mismatch, but it's not exactly straightforward... hm...

Thanks!
--Jarek