[Tagging] Correct use of height with kerb

Alessandro Sarretta alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 05:47:53 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I'm doing some work cleaning the edits we've done around Padova for the
local plan for the elimination of architectural barriers (some
references here: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3370704).

The height of kerbs, in this context defined as the nodes at the
intersection between sidewalks and crossings, is quite an important
element for the evaluation of accessibility of sidewalks and crossings.
I think the agreed tagging system is:

kerb=yes/lowered/raised/flush + kerb:height=<a number><unit>

as described here
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:kerb#kerb:height.3D.3Cheight.3E.3Cunit.3E

Around Padova I found some inconsistencies that I'm going to correct,
but I see similar ones around the world and I'd like to ask you if you
think they should be corrected, when found.

Here the questions:

  * should the tag barrier=kerb be always avoided in these cases and
    deleted when found? (
    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dkerb#Possible_Tagging_Mistakes
    )
  * is the tag height=* to be always changed into kerb:height=* ?

Thank you,

Ale