[Tagging] How to tag oneway restriction applying to pedestrians?

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sat Jan 11 16:16:00 UTC 2020

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 at 04:48, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That tag on footways would apply only to walkers.
>>
>> well, unless someone adds bicycle=yes in which case it would change and only apply to bicycles?
>> What about highway=pedestrian?
>>
> The problem with oneway=yes|no, if it were to apply to pedestrians as well, would be on all mixed-use ways.
> This would exclude highway=pedestrian as this tag excludes all vehicles by definition (careful if it's an "area pedonale" in Italy, which allows bicycles by default and hence requires a bicycle=yes in OSM-speak, but that's beside the point).

I imagine that virtually all real-world pedestrian ways that are
one-way for pedestrians would be on dedicated pedestrian ways - that
is, highway=footway. If that's correct, oneway=yes can be interpreted
as referring to pedestrians on footways (it looks like osm-carto
already does this?). I struggle to imagine a one-way pedestrian way
that is also open to bicycle riders (dismount still works in this
scheme). Perhaps the only other thing could be highway=path, where
there could be some ambiguity with bicycles. But at least we can avoid
the "street with sidewalk" interpretation. Does anyone have
counterexamples?

--Jarek